Define: Identity Alignment Assumptions
An identity alignment assumption is the assumption that one’s identity categories align with what is either a stereotype or a dominant compulsory cultural norm.
In modern western cultures, for example, it is assumed that men are aggressors and women are passive, that men are in charge and women give in. This is of course not true in every instance, but it has become a prevalent cultural norm, and – in some circles more than others – socially policed to assure that those alignments will be adhered to.
This particular cultural norm translates into a common identity alignment assumption in queer communities to presume that a femme is a bottom and a butch is a top.
It’s also a common identity alignment assumption that lesbians are feminists, that queers are democrats or liberals, that sex bloggers are slutty … ah, the list goes on & on.
Any particular identity alignment assumptions that have been especially challenging for you in your life? Any that you commonly assume, which still surprise you when they end up not being true? Share in the comments.comment on this
- 06/20/2014 • Protected: Some reflections on being in all-male space
- 02/03/2014 • Is genderqueer (or butch) a stepping stone to transitioning?
- 12/04/2013 • The Gender Book’s crowdfunding campaign is funded! But you should still go buy a copy for yourself right now
- 11/26/2013 • Coming Out Genderqueer: An Open Letter to My Family & Friends
Want more? You’re insatiable.
monthly(ish) newsletterfor just the highlights, announcements, workshops, and sometimes even exclusive smut. Plus, get the password for protected posts.
e-mail digestDo you love following Sugarbutch, but don't check this site regularly, or can't check from work because it's too dirty? Easy! Just subscribe below and receive the new Sugarbutch posts directly to your email inbox once a day.
- Define: “butch in the streets, femme in the sheets” - Sugarbutch Chronicles
- What happened in December - Sugarbutch Chronicles
- “On Dichotomies that (No Longer) Jail Me” and More From KinkForAll Providence – Sugarbutch Chronicles
- Femme Invisibility & Beyond : Sugarbutch Chronicles