Countdown to the Femme Conference: Two Weeks
The Femme Conference 2010: No Restrictions in Oakland is two weeks away! And in honor, Sugarbutch is counting down to the Femme Conference
Conference, featuring some important femme books that I highly recommend if you haven’t read them already. Femme is part of an ever-evolving, big, knowable lineage, and if you love this identity in any way—if it’s yours, or if it is the gender to whom you are oriented, or if you appreciate it—you should know where it comes from, where it’s been.
I met Ulrika Dahl at the Femme Conference in 2008, and was excited to get my hands on this lovely book when it came out. It features profiles and essays about femme identity, photographs of femmes with all sorts of varieties of presentation, and discussions of what femme is like in different contexts. It’s a beautiful book, almost a coffee table book, that you can flip through and stare at all the beautiful photographs of femmes. Or you can delve deeper into the text for complex depictions of queer gender identity.
From the synopsis:
What is femme? French for woman? A feminine lesbian? A queer girl who loves to dress up? Think again! Going beyond identity politics and the pleasures of plumage, “Femmes of Power” captures a diverse range of queerly feminine subjects whose powerful and intentional redress explodes the meaning of femme for the 21st century. “Femmes of Power” features both every-day heroines and many queer feminist icons, including Michelle Tea, Virginie Despentes, Amber Hollibaugh, Itziar Ziga, Lydia Lunch, Kate Bornstein and Valerie Mason-John. “Femmes of Power” unsettles the objectifying “male” gaze on femininity and presents femmes as speaking subjects and high heeled theorists.
- 11/11/2013 • Free eBook Download: BDSM murder mystery about dogs & neighbors
- 09/18/2013 • Free download of Visible: A Femmethology Volume Two
- 05/21/2013 • Writing your story is “an investment in one’s self,” and more from Amber Dawn
- 05/21/2013 • “How Poetry Saved My Life” Reading with Amber Dawn (& me!) on Wednesday in SF
- Tweets that mention Countdown to the Femme Conference: Two Weeks – Sugarbutch Chronicles -- Topsy.com
- Femme Conference Begins Today! & Countdown to the Butch Voices Conferences – Sugarbutch Chronicles