“What’s going on here?!” You may be asking yourself. “What happened to my usual Sugarbutch Chronicles, with queer eye candy and smut and gender theory?”
Through October 28, it’s the 8 Against 8 campaign, where 8 lesbian bloggers are raising $8,000 over 8 days to defeat Proposition 8 in California. Along with Grace & Grace, Lori Hahn, Kelly at TLL, Dorothy Surrenders, Pam’s House Blend, Riese, Renee at Lesbiatopia, we are writing to raising awareness about the homophobic, bigoted political initiatives that are stripping away equal rights from queers.
It’s not just Proposition 8 in California, it’s also No on amendment 2 in Florida, No on Proposition 102 in Arizona , No on Question 1 in Connecticut, and No on Act 1 in Arkansas. Educate yourself. Talk to your friends & family. Send emails. DO SOMETHING.
The 8 Against 8 roundup on Sugarbutch:
Day 1, Monday:
- Vote NO on Prop 8: Introduction
- Del & Phyllis, pioneering lesbian activist couple, and the first to be married in California
Day 2, Tuesday:
- Ellen & Portia, because they are so damn gorgeous
- Because everyone should have the right to be awesome. Legally.
Day 3, Wednesday:
- Julie & Nikola, and a video for Julie’s hilarious comedy-song Commitment Ceremony
Day 4, Thursday:
- Ariel & Amy, photos from Ariel Levy’s essay on finding the perfect dress for her lesbian wedding
- Teri & Lisa, photograph from their October ’08 wedding
- I’m going election crazy is a collection of links and miscellany related to voting & the upcoming election
- Take a Picture, Take a Stand against Proposition 102 in Arizona
- We Are Not The Enemy photo project …. very moving
Day 5, Friday:
- Vote No on Prop 8: official ads from the campaign spoofing the “I’m a Mac/I’m a PC” Apple ads – genius! (Especially now that Apple has donated $100,000 to No on 8! Thanks!)
- Marriage is so gay – oh right, sometimes I actually write words too, and don’t only post media. Here’s some of my thoughts halfway through this 8 Against 8 campaign.
- Reise & Haviland’s Vlog PSA
Day 6, Saturday:
- Documentary film: I Can’t Marry You
- Documentary film: Tying the Knot
- Documentary film: Saving Marriage
Day 7, Sunday:
- Did We Vote on YOUR Marriage? – video of clips since California’s legalization of gay marriage
- Ban gay divorce instead – funny video clips from 9in10.org, straight folks supporting gay marriage
- You Cannot Live on Hope Alone – speech from Harvey Milk about electing gay politicians … really inspiring
Day 8, Monday:
- Photos of fierce-gorgeous-moving-sexy-hot-inspiring queer weddings!
- Got photos of YOUR gay wedding you’d like to be featured? Send ’em in to aspiringstud at gmail.com.
We have currently raised: $6,314 of $8,000 as of 10:30am on Wednesday, 22 October! We have reached our goal! Late on Wednesday, October 22, our donations tipped over $8,000. BUT the polls are still saying that we are not guaranteed a win against Proposition 8. Keep donating! Let’s see how far we can go! As of Monday, 27 October, we’ve raised over $13,000!